Thursday, March 10, 2011

BORING OT GENEOLOGY...NOT REALLY!!

I do not know anything about the viewpoints or theology of this person but I do know that I have always found it quite boring reading through the OT geneology. I ran across this in a devotion today and I thought I would share it since I'm sure I am not the only one to feel this way when reading geneology in the Scriptures.

Numbers 1:1-2:34, Mark 11:27-12:17

Thought from Today’s Old Testament Passage:

And these are the names of the men that shall stand with you; of the tribe of Reuben; Elizur the son of Shedeur [Num. 1:5].

That doesn’t sound very interesting or thrilling, but let me explain it. Reuben was the eldest son of Jacob, and he was set aside. We are told, “Reuben, thou art my firstborn, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power: Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel; because thou wentest up to thy father’s bed; then defiledst thou it: he went up to my couch” (Gen. 49:3–4). Reuben—unstable as water.



Now the man chosen out of this tribe was to be a different kind of man. Elizur, the son of Shedeur, was the man. Elizur means “My God is a rock” and Shedeur means “The Almighty is a fire.” I like that. This man Elizur, “My God is a rock,” may belong to a tribe that is unstable as water, but he knows a Rock that is stable. He reminds me of the little Scottish lady who said, “I may tremble on the Rock, but the Rock never trembles under me.” Remember that they had sung in the song of Moses that God was their Rock. This fellow had learned that. He knew that God is a Rock in a weary land. He is the foundation Rock for us to rest on also. It is wonderful to know, my friend, that you may be an unstable person and come from an unstable family, but there is a Rock for you. “My God is a Rock.” (J. Vernon McGee, Thru the Bible Commentary [computer file], electronic ed., Logos Library System, (Nashville: Thomas Nelson), 1997 © 1981 by J. Vernon McGee)

1 comment:

Nana Mama and More said...

I hope this help others see that there is really much more there than we see when we just quickly read past these scripture passages! I know it helped me.

A Pretty Little Princess, A Handsome Prince, and The Old Lady in the Middle

A Pretty Little Princess, A Handsome Prince, and The Old Lady in the Middle
Nana Mama and the Grandbabies